PET ADOPTION PROCESS
When you adopt an animal through Animal Welfare League Queensland, you are supporting an organisation that rehomes and cares for more than 8,000 abandoned and homeless animals each year.
To assist with managing visitor numbers and social distancing we have implemented operational changes (not applicable to the Brisbane Animal Rehoming Centres). These are as follows:
Our new adoption process
- Cats & Dogs will be available for adoption from the GOLD COAST Animal Rehoming Centre.
- Dogs will be available for adoption from the BEENLEIGH Animal Rehoming Centre – there will some cats available at this centre.
- Our adoption application process will return to face-to-face and the online option will no longer be available.
Our new opening hours
- Beenleigh Animal Rehoming Centre will be open Monday through to Sunday between 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- Gold Coast Animal Rehoming Centre will be open Tuesday through to Saturday between 12:00 pm and 5:00 pm and will be CLOSED on Sunday and Monday.
Welcoming a new furry companion
Welcoming a new furry companion into your home is an exciting time and we our aim to make this process as seamless as possible for you.
To ensure you are happy with your new companion animal, and they will be happy in their new home, our team will discuss with you what you are looking for in your new furry friend.
All cats and dogs are desexed, microchipped, vaccinated, treated for the prevention of fleas and worms and may be eligible for 3-months free pet insurance with RACQ insurance (conditions apply).
Our promise is to never euthanise a healthy, sociable or treatable animal in our care. At our Gold Coast Animal Rehoming Centre we invest approximately $660.00 into each animal to prepare them for adoption, this money is never fully recouped. As a result we are currently running at a loss of $150,000 per month just in rehoming expenses.
We will always keep our promise, but we can’t sustain it on our own.
When you adopt a higher-priced animal from us, not only are you giving this animal a second chance but you are giving many other animals a second chance. The abandoned dog who needs to have his leg amputated to alleviate pain and suffering, the homeless cat who needs lifesaving treatment and the orphaned litters that need around-the-clock care. You will be saving lives!
If you are planning to adopt, please ensure you come prepared with the following:
- If you rent please check that you are allowed to have a pet. Lots of animals are surrendered due to people not being able to find pet-friendly accommodation, we don’t want you to be in this situation.
- Identification (driver’s license or 18+ Card)
- If you already have a dog and you are looking to adopt another, please bring your existing dog to meet your potential new dog to ensure they get along. This is not necessary if adopting a cat.
- If you have children it is wise to bring them along to ensure they are confident with the new pet.
- It’s important to research the breed of the pet before coming to adopt. The Purina Breed Selector has stacks of information to help you make an informed decision before deciding to adopt your new pet.
21 day settling in period
AWLQ has a 21 day settling in period so if you change your mind you are welcome to bring your pet back and we will find it a more suitable home. You will receive a refund of the adoption price minus a $50 administration fee.
Shopping for pet supplies
AWLQ has a retail shop at each Animal Rehoming Centre where you can purchase everything your new pet requires. From food bowls, food and bedding to kitty litter and scratching posts. We also have a wide range of collars, leashes, grooming products, worming tablets, shampoo and toys available. All money raised from our retail shops goes back in to caring for the animals still waiting for a new home.
Terms and Conditions
- All prices are subject to change and $0 amounts are yet to be priced. All AWLQ centres have a pet supply shop where you can purchase everything you need for your new pet.
- Animals with a status of Available for adoption- awaiting spay/neuter are only available for foster to adopt as they are awaiting desexing. Adoptions will be finalised after the animal has been desexed.
- Pocket Pets (Guinea Pigs & Rats) are only available for adoption from Tuesday through to Friday from the Gold Coast Animal Rehoming Centre.
- Terms and conditions apply to the adoption of AWLQ animals – please contact the relevant rehoming centre for further information
- Council registration for Gold Coast and Brisbane residents is required at the time of adoption. For more information on council registration please visit:
Gold Coast Council website
Brisbane City Council website