PET ADOPTION PROCESS
We take in thousands of animals every year at Animal Welfare League Queensland. This past year alone, we have provided a safe haven for 10,990 stray and homeless animals – animals who, without us, would have no hope and no one to care for them.
To every one of these animals who we welcome through our doors, a promise is made – to never euthanise a healthy, sociable, or treatable animal in our care. We do everything possible to find them a happy home. It doesn’t matter how long it takes – we’ll never give up trying to provide them with the second chance they all deserve. We look after them as if they are part of our own family.
To see the location of our animal rehoming centres, please click here.
WELCOMING A NEW FURRY COMPANION
Every pet is unique—and so is every home. We’ll work alongside you to find the perfect addition to your family.
Welcoming a new furry companion into your home is an exciting time, and we aim to make this experience as fun and seamless as possible for you.
To ensure you are happy with your new companion animal and they will be happy in their new home, our team will discuss with you what you are looking for in your new furry friend.
Please ensure you come prepared with the following:
- If you rent, please check that you are allowed to have a pet. Many animals are surrendered due to people not being able to find pet-friendly accommodation; we don’t want you to be in this situation.
- Identification (driver’s license or 18+ Card)
- If you already have a dog and are looking to adopt another, please bring your existing dog to meet your potential new dog to ensure they get along. This is not necessary if adopting a cat.
- If you have children, bring them to ensure they are confident with the new pet.
- It’s essential to research the breed of the pet before coming to adopt. The Purina Breed Selector has excellent information to help you make an informed decision before adopting your new family member.
OUR ADOPTION FEES
All cats and dogs are desexed, microchipped, vaccinated and treated for the prevention of fleas and worms.
At our Gold Coast Animal Rehoming Centre, we invest approximately $660.00 into each animal to prepare them for adoption. This money is never fully recouped.
When you adopt a higher-priced animal from us, you give this animal a second chance and many other animals a second chance. The abandoned dog who needs to have his leg amputated to alleviate pain and suffering, the homeless cat who needs lifesaving treatment and the orphaned litters who need around-the-clock care. You will be saving lives!
21-DAY SETTLING-IN PERIOD
AWLQ has a 21-day settling-in period, so if you change your mind, you are welcome to bring your pet back, and we will find it a more suitable home. You will receive a refund of the adoption price minus a $50.00 administration fee.
SHOPPING FOR PET SUPPLIES
AWLQ has a retail shop at each animal rehoming centre where you can purchase everything your new pet requires. From food bowls, food and bedding to kitty litter and scratching posts. We also have a wide range of collars, leashes, grooming products, worming tablets, shampoo and toys.
All money raised from our retail shops goes back to caring for the animals still waiting for a new home.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- All prices are subject to change, and $0 amounts are yet to be priced.
- Animals with a status of Available for Adoption – awaiting spay/neuter are only available for foster to adopt as they are awaiting desexing. Adoptions will be finalised once the animal has been desexed.
- Pocket Pets (Guinea Pigs & Rats) are only available for adoption from Tuesday through Saturday from the Gold Coast Animal Rehoming Centre.
- Terms and conditions apply to the adoption of AWLQ animals – please get in touch with the relevant animal rehoming centre for further information
- Council registration for Brisbane, Gold Coast and Ipswich residents is required at the time of adoption. For more information on council registration, please visit: